Wednesday, November 03, 2004

It’s all over but the dyin’

John Kerry conceded. The referendum on Neocon fascist imperialism has officially passed. The anti-Christ has been re-elected. Perpetual war has been approved.

But how did this happen? Once the dust settles and the tear ducts are dry, the Democrats will wake up and realize the bitter truth. This election was not about issues, not about character. It was about style.

One candidate spoke to the voter as if each of them were smart. The other candidate spoke to the voter as if each of them were stupid.

Guess who won?

Simplicity won the day for the Republicans. Bush got his message across because he spoke on a sixth grade level. Kerry, much like Gore before him, asked the voter to listen and think in depth. Lesson learned. Don’t ask voters to think, or they’ll just start thinking about the other guy.

Pundits will ponder the failure of the Democrats to unseat America’s worst presidency. If they’re honest with themselves, they will conclude that shifting farther to the right will never get them back in power. They need to become liberals again, and simplify their message. America hates to think, and they’ll punish anyone who tries to make them. The Dems are now forewarned.

If "intelligent discontent is the mainspring of civilization" (Eugene Debs), then America is teetering at the edge of decline.

American politics is about to get a whole lot dumber.

2 Comments:

At 11:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,
I can't believe Bush won. I don't know what to do. I would like to say that as soon as I get my degree that I would be moving out of the country, but it's going to be four more years plus grad school and all that before I finish school. I want to get out my voice, but like you wrote, that would require thinking on the behalf of the citizens. I feel disinfranchised by this country right now and I feel more like buring the flag in symbolising what the majority of the citizens are doing and what Bush is doing rather than waving the flag. It's as if all my hopes are wiped and I have nothing left. Well, I'm going to go...
CAP

 
At 9:44 AM , Blogger Daniel Preece said...

An extreme reaction would only make it harder to win next time. Obviously, the Dems are not reaching enough voters.

If voters are going to support a lying war monger who governs "of, by and for" the corporations--and STILL say he represents their morals--then the Dems have a serious public relations problem.

The Dems' policies aren't the problem. They need to couch their policy in moral terms.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home