Saturday, January 29, 2005

Gay genes?

I hate onions and tomatoes and I cannot explain why. I have tried to ignore my anti-onion-and-tomato inclinations and eat them without prejudice. But every attempt has lead to revulsion.

Oh, it would make my life SO much easier to like them. No more fussing over menu items or making (usually disregarded) special requests. I could finally be fully included in the culture, and able to eat whatever everyone else is eating. (Some may not realize it, but food preference can be just as divisive as one's religious and political beliefs. It's not easy living outside the mainstream.)

If I can't choose to like onions or tomatoes, I'm pretty certain gay folks don't choose to be gay.

Sure, they can choose what actions they take, but they can't simply choose to not be gay. That's impossible, even though it would DEFINITELY make their lives better in all aspects if they simply were heterosexual. There was no day in my life where I weighed my food options and chose my deviant anti-onion-and-tomato tastes. That's just who I am, and have always been.

Nor did I wake up one day and decide to be a heterosexual. That's just who I am, and have always been. And now, scientists are finding a genetics link to male sexual orientation.

This research isn't finished. There's no one single "gay gene" that's passed on. But there is some early data that suggests there is more to sexual orientation than simple perversion.

They coulda just asked me, and saved a lot of research. But you know these scientist types, they always gotta have numbers to crunch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home